The Horror Chamber of Doctor Faustus/the Manster double bill
- Podcast and movie introductions
- Andrew does the plot recap
- The movie’s place in French cinema
- Critical reception of Eyes without a Face
- Blood of the Beasts
- A reaction to the modern world
- Citation: Postwar Facial Reconstruction
- Hotel des invalides (misdescribed in the podcast somewhat)
- The mask
- The conflict of the main character
- The acting style
Geroulanos, Stefanos. Postwar Facial Reconstruction: Georges Franju’s Eyes Without a Face. French Politics, Culture & Society, vol. 31, no. 2, 2013, pp. 1533. Conrad, Randall, and Georges Franju.
Mystery and Melodrama: A Conversation with Georges Franju. Film Quarterly, vol. 35, no. 2, 1981, pp. 3142. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/1212048.
We watched the Criterion Collection edition of the film.
There is also an excellent soundtrack (which we didn’t discuss in the episode)
Next episode we will discuss Onibaba.
@thewatermethod on Twitter
@pizzapranks on Twitter
Andrew posts games on his itch.io page.
Check out Andrew and I’s other podcast, ActualPlay.Network. It’s a live play RPG podcast where we play games like Call of Cthulhu, Vampire, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, and more.
If you like this website, and you need a great, stylish, affordable website, please reach out to me on Twitter or contact me via Whaling City Web.